Interesting Plants Seen in Germany

Spring is a busy time so I'm not going to do a lot of writing today, but I did want to share  a few plants that I saw while in Germany. There is not much rhyme or reason to this group of plants other than they were looking good enough for a picture and that I found each plant attractive and interesting. 

It was fun to see the Cydonia in bloom. I've never seen this species of common quince in flower and at first glance I thought it was a Philadelphus (Mock-orange) with soft pink flowers. The Exochorda Korolkowii (Turkestan Pearl Bush) was a show off plant the caught my from a distance and was worth a picture. I am really pumped about the breeding going on with pearl bush and I think once people get to know they will grow it.  I had never seen Poncirus (Japanese Hardy Orange) in flower so this too was a treat. 

Cydonia oblonga 

Exochorda korolkowii

Poncirus trifoliata

Poncirus trifoliata



Prunus lannesiana Washinowa

The low growing shrubby Amelanchier ovalis (Showy Mespilus) is a favorite of mine. I fell in love with the plant when I was an intern at the Chicago Botanical Garden. Since that time I've been working very hard at switching over to digital images and taking new pictures is a lot more fun than scanning slides.

Amelanchier ovalis

As far as the perennials go, I've always loved Primula denticulata (Drumstick Primrose) and Rodgersia aesculafolia (Rodgers flower). 

Rodgersia aesculafolia


Primula denticulata
The peony was a new find for me. It is a Ukrainian species that was labeled as Paeonia daurica, but I understand it is now called Paeonia mascula subspecies triternata. Regardless of the name it was quite beautiful and look very healthy.  

Paeonia mascula
 
Trillium sessile Snow Queen

6 comments:

  1. WOW! What a awesome flowers! I am very inspired from your post. So pretty photos!
    Thanks for sharing with us..Flowering Trees Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post...I'm a huge fan of Rodgersia...that bronze-flushed foliage in your pic is especially awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and some really useful tips there. I love resource lists like this. Have social bookmarked it in the hope that others can also benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these pics are so lush and splendid! Thanks for providing some visual relief over here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant post! I really appreciate your love for nature and I share with you the same sentiment. Your photography skill made a good judgement to those beautiful flowers you posted. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog! really like the Rodgersia aesculafolia in this post, amazing shades of colour!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.

Please know that I delete spam and SEO back-links and will call you out as a spammer if you attempt to use this blog to promote your website, business or whatever else you are selling. Please respect this blog.